Hi, my name is Flik!
I’m Flik. Also Felicity. I’ll answer to both. It gets confusing I know. Just call me Flik.
The boys at school called me Flik as a way to tease me. But I never really got why they thought it was mean though – it’s a cool name! At design school I needed to come up with a business name for an assignment so I decided to use it. It caught on and now that’s what everyone calls me!
And why is it Flik and not Flick? Because I wanted to buy the flick.com domain but it was taken so I changed the spelling ha!
I worked at agencies before starting Flik Graphic Design in 2013. I quickly realised I really loved being able to work in my PJs and not having to deal with agency bureaucracy! I now get to do what I love while having the flexibility to live life on my terms.
Some Random Facts about me
1. I got a C- for art in high school (my art teacher and I had creative differences).
2. My husband and I were set up on a blind date when we were just 18 and 20 years old! We were best friends for 10 years before we finally started dating. We’ve now been together for 7 years and married for 3 years.
3. In 1998 I told my high school computer teacher that I wanted to be a graphic designer and work from home – he told me that the internet would never be fast enough for that.
4. I’ve been a vegan for over 10 years. And yes, I have heard that joke before.
5. I’ve been a graphic designer for 7 years and before that I had over 20 different jobs, working in retail, fast food, debt collection, telemarketing, cleaning, admin and bookkeeping – to name just a few!
6. I’ve walked 50kms in one go. I had a lot of blisters.
7. At my first interview for a design job (at a digital agency) the interviewers said my portfolio was terrible, but they could see I had potential, so they gave me the job! I worked there for 2 years before leaving because I couldn’t get any more promotions.
8. I’ve designed all of my own jewellery (except my wedding ring – thanks babe) and made some of it too, my parents are both jewellers and they taught me well.
9. My first design job paid so little that I had to take a second job working nights as a DJ assistant. It was actually a really fun job and I had zero regrets.
10. My favourite place to be is in a bubble bath with a glass of champagne. Moet is my favourite. Although you’ll mostly find me drinking Merlot out of a Yalumba cask because I’m not a classy lady.
11. My website photos are totally staged. I rarely wear makeup and my husband has to keep reminding me to brush my teeth. Most of my work is done in the middle of the night, wearing my PJs and drinking cheap wine (see fact #10).
12. I have a latin tattoo on my back that means “from within we begin”.
13. I have one toddler, one husband and two dogs.
14. Before I became graphic designer I was a bookkeeper. I was always getting complimented on how nice my spreadsheets looked.
The official bit…
Felicity (Flik) Neal, Graphic Designer
BA Comms, Dip Graphic Design, Cert IV Small Business Management
Felicity Neal is a graphic design with 7 years of experience. She worked for agencies for becoming a freelance designer, and now enjoys the freedom and flexibility that comes from being her own boss. Felicity specialises in brand strategy and development, and works with purpose-drive business women to create incredible brands.
Felicity has worked with a number of businesses and NFPs including Duchesne College, Australian Medical Association Queensland, Queensland Brides Magazine, Cherry Blooms, Southern Cross University, Biome Eco Stores, UQ Engineering Undergraduate Society, Australian Fundraising, The Cruelty Free Shop, Queensland Conservation Council, Raykong Property Group, Australian Dental Manufacturing, Coco Life Australia, Montserrat Hospitals, Websters Property Partners, Relationships Australia, The Arts Centre Gold Coast, Position Real Estate, The Wilderness Society, Animal Liberation Queensland, and National College of Vocational Education.
Ok so I haven’t scared you off yet?
So you’ve got an awesome project that could use a sprinkle of my magic designer fairy dust? Awesome! I’d love to hear all about it. Please complete the form below, I will devour it, and email you back a quote within 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays).
I know there’s a lot of questions (sorry!) – you don’t have to answer them all! You can also give me a call on (07) 3195 2248 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org